Latest Posts

Two Diva's Bookish Discussion: eBooks vs Real Books

By 6:29 pm


Hey guys, sorry it's been a while since Sunny  and I did this post and we promised we would do it fortnightly but because of interruptions in life (aka: School) we haven't had the chance to do another discussion post. We promise we'll make an effort to keep it a fortnightly thing but we can't help homework.

Judging from the post title you can guess that today's discussion is going to be about the pro's and con's about eBooks and real books. This post is inspired by one of my favourite book vlogger Christine  who vlogs about books. She is a great vlogger and you should go check out her discussions and reviews on books.


To hit it off I'm going to start with eBooks (iPhone and iPad)

Pros
Point
Reason
Lighting
There is no need for lighting so when you want to do your late night reading without your parents knowing, this is a very big help as you can just snuggle under the covers.
Storage
You can have multiple books on one device. You don’t have to worry about it taking up room on your book shelf and reading multiple books at the same time is not a problem as you can easily flick between them
Weight
It weighs nothing so you don’t have to worry about breaking your back carrying those 6 books plus all your homework home.
Notes
If you’re a blogger like me who likes to write notes on a certain book for your review well then this is very easy as you can highlight certain things and write notes.
Less Damage
All though you have to worry about your device getting wet, this still is safer as you don’t have to worry about getting your pages dirty with food marks.
Buying
Buying books is not a problem and you receive it instantly so you don’t have to worry about that long wait for your reservation at the library or having to drive to your nearest book store.
Privacy
You don’t have to worry about other people seeing what you’re reading. So if you’re a person who likes Fifty Shades of Grey then you can save yourself the embarrassment. Also if an amazing book has an awkward cover (like people kissing) then people won’t judge you at the bus stop.  
Class Time
If you’re like me and like to sneak a quick read in class, then pulling out your iPhone and hiding it in your text book is not a problem.
Cons
Point
Reason
Battery
When you’ve been reading for hours you have to suffer the pain of when the screen goes black. Then you have to sit next to the power point which defeats the purpose of sneakiness.
Screen
The screens are bad for your eyes! I don’t know ‘bout you but my eyes go all blurry if I’m reading on the iPhone so I can’t read for long. And I also want to keep my good eyesight for as long as I can.

Real book

Pros
Point
Reason
Cover
I love it when a book has an interesting cover and you just take the time to notice small things.
Feeling
I like the feeling of a book in my hand. I like just lying on a couch and reading for a good few hours.
Smell
I like the smell of new books; I know it’s kinda weird.
Display
I like being able to display it on my book shelf. I also love the feeling of being able to flaunt it as I walk down the corridors of school and seeing all the people who have read its expression.  
Infinite Battery
You don’t have to worry about battery, all you need is light.
Better on Eyesight
It’s obviously better for your eyesight as you’re not staring at a screen for ages.
Parents Approval
The reason I say this is because it’s not like a parent can be like stop reading that book (which they eventually do) because then you can always reply with that smart ass comment “But at least I am not one of those teenagers that sit at a computer all day looking at all sorts of inappropriate things.” I just feel so accomplished when they cannot come up with anything to say back. You also have your English teacher’s approval because they know you read. And then there are the librarians…forever their favourite.
That feeling when…
I dunno about you but I love that feeling when you walk out of a book store feeling the weight of the book in that plastic bag dangling by your side.
Cons
Points
Reason
Awkward Angles
For those of you who don’t have a lamp near your bed, I hate having to find the right angle to get the light in your room. It’s also really annoying when it’s cold and your hands are freezing trying to hold the book up.
Weight
I really hate it when I have to walk home and I have 3 books plus my school laptop and text books in my bag. Sometimes I can’t even feel my shoulders.
Non-readers
You always have that one person come up to you and be like, “What are you reading?” And when you answer they have never heard of it. And when you try and explain you make the book sound so bad.

Even though I have listed both the pros and cons, in my opinion Real Books wins this battle.Thanks for reading this post and if you would like to add anything I missed please say so in the comments in the bottom. We really love feedback as this is a discussion post for anyone to join in if they're a blogger or a non-blogger. It doesn't matter! Remember to go check out Sunny's blog as her's is different to mine. Stay posted for our next discussion in 2 weeks.





9 comments

  1. Great Post! You've done a great job interpreting our discussion and I'm excited for our next post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually love the physical books more since I don't know :) I feel more emotional reading it :) and in fact I can put it on my bookshelf, which is a thing I like :") On the other hand I really love kindle too :) since I can bring it on airplane and buses with a lot of books at a time without weighting too heavy :P
    Same with you, I hate to find the right angle to read my book as well as carrying laptop, books and textbooks around. It's a disaster to my shoulder :\

    This is a really helpful post :) I love this ♥

    Lucy @ Big whale, Small whale
    http://loulou-thewhaleh.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh btw added your button to mine :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! Both formats have pros and cons, so I don't have one which I like more. I do read more ebooks, because I can get them so much faster than paper books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooh, I love the set out of this post! The tables are a smart idea!

    Personally, I'm a physical copies kind-of girl. ;) I love the feeling of flicking through pages, curling up around your book... Though I will read the occasional ebook on my iPad! It's not like I'm against e-readers, but I definitely prefer physical books.

    Great discussion post! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate ebooks. It's that simple. I don't care what advantages there are to them I just hate reading them. I think I'll stick to my dear paperback books, I love them so much! They're much easier to read in my opinion! Great discussion gals! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just read this post on Sunny's blog, but I love the different ways you have both done this discussion in your own style :)

    I can see the appeal in reading ebooks over physical, but I really prefer real books that smell all bookish and have lovely colourful covers. Although I do appreciate the privacy in ebooks. I hate it when I'm reading my paperback and can see someone gawping at the cover, trying to read the title. Not that I read Fifty Shades of Grey or anything, though, haha!

    Thanks for sharing this discussion post with us, and I can't wait for the next one in two weeks :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahaha at first on the CONS for print books, I thought it said "awkward ANGELS" I'm like HUH!? LOL then I realized it said ANGLES. I freakin relate to this like every single day. It's hard to find the right reading position with the light directly on my book. If I'm reading a printed book, I have to read it in a certain time cause if I read it at night (my reading spot is on my bed) I won't be able to read cause I have a freaking YELLOW light bulb which is annoying as hell and I don't have a lamp :( The weight is also dreading. Enough said. The only time I buy printed books is when the cover is super pretty (I know..I know.. I'm judging a book by its cover, but I can't help buying a pretty cover!) or when the book is REALLY good and I read it as an ARC from NetGalley & I want a copy of it to keep it on my shelf... other than that, I usually use my Nook to read b/c I don't have anymore space in my room and right now I have a 'book FLOOR shelf' D: GREAT POST! I guess after reading this post, I realize I like reading with my Nook more.. although I like touching the pages of a book :(

    Leigh
    Little Book Star

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a Kindle Touch, so there are few things that are switched around for me on your pros and cons list. II like to highlight quotes on my Kindle, but I don't like to take notes. For me, that just takes longer than writing in my comp books because the typing is slow. Also, my battery is so awesome. By the time I have to recharge it, I can't remember the last time I had to do it. My Kindle isn't really bad on my eyes because the screen is very book page like. So, when it comes to ebooks, I think it's better to read on an actual ereader rather than an app.

    Great pros and cons list. :)

    ReplyDelete