Latest Posts

{Review} The House of Hades by Rick Riordan

By 9:15 pm

At the conclusion of The Mark of Athena, Annabeth and Percy tumble into a pit leading straight to the Underworld. The other five demigods have to put aside their grief and follow Percy’s instructions to find the mortal side of the Doors of Death. If they can fight their way through the Gaea’s forces, and Percy and Annabeth can survive the House of Hades, then the Seven will be able to seal the Doors both sides and prevent the giants from raising Gaea. But, Leo wonders, if the Doors are sealed, how will Percy and Annabeth be able to escape?

They have no choice. If the demigods don’t succeed, Gaea’s armies will never die. They have no time. In about a month, the Romans will march on Camp Half-Blood. The stakes are higher than ever in this adventure that dives into the depths of Tartarus.

Review - May contain minor spoilers to those who have not read the Heroes of Olympus and Percy Jackson series

I am lost for words. I think I've forgotten how much I love and adore this series. I loved this series so much I even missed all the characters. And let's not forget, Rick Riordan put all his fans through Tartarus by leaving us on the worst cliff hanger in the universe. So as soon as it was out in stores I bought it and I immediately started reading and then I see this:

Rick has some serious spunk...

I just never want this series to end! Rick just continues to amaze me with his incredible detail with the plot line. Not many author's can pull off such a heavily based mythological themed book without it becoming an info dump! You don't have to be a fan of Greek Mythology to be able to read this. Reading this series is like a learning experience, you learn so much about the Greek Gods and mythology it's crazy how it doesn't end up feeling like you're in class. Once you start reading there is no going back, Percy Jackson is the best series to introduce you to this amazing genre!

Rick Riordan is the master of writing mythological based stories.

House of Hades is the continuation of the epic journey that Percy and his friends have set out for them. Each character is pushed to the limit and relationships are tested. It was definitely by far my most favourite book in the Heroes of Olympus series so far and I cannot wait to see what's installed for us in the next novel. Why does it have to be a year!!!

Characters:
Obviously Percy and Anabeth will forever be my favourite characters. I miss Grover so much! It just feels like their trio is sort of incomplete. At first I didn't like the new characters in this series but they have grown on me as we get to know them a little more.

I absolutely hated Piper at the start and I still don't like her but not as much. She is  a lot less whiny and a lot more stronger. She has learnt how to use her abilities and accepted that she is the child of Aphrodite.

Jason is too perfect for me, he just doesn't seem to have any flaws and I don't have a good reason as to why I don't like him. I just don't! I think if we knew more of Jason's past I would like him. It's the fact that we started with Percy from the very beginning (gee he was only 12!) and we followed him along as he grew up. All these new character kind of popped up out of no where and it felt like they were intruding.

For me Frank was always just there...but he proved himself a lot in this book and he is much stronger but I just feel his character is a little bland. We need to know more of his back-story.

I LOVE Leo and even more in this book. Something crazy happens in this book and he is less of a 7th wheel which is great! He belongs more to the group and they realise how much they need him. He always manages to lighten the mood and he is just so funny! He just has the best lines and I swear he could easily be a comedian.

The two children of Hades (or Pluto, however you want it) I love. Hazel is badass and she becomes really powerful in this book. I always liked Nico but now I just love him! He is such a sad character and we see who he really is in this book. This book explains why he was always the odd one out. These two children were so vital to the quest. I hope in the next book we get a Nico chapter!!!

Overall I adored this book!!! All the anticipation was worth it and then when I bought it, it ended up being cheaper! Each and every character had a role to play and they were tested in their own ways. I just wish I didn't read it so quickly!!! I'm forever grateful it didn't end on another cliff hanger but I truly fear what Rick has installed for us next time round. (I think we got lucky) If you haven't already read this series you are crazy because you are missing out on so much!

If I could have rated it higher it would have been 10 stars.




1 comments

  1. I kind of skimmed your review, as I haven't read the House of Hades yet. My friend spoiled for me the big revelation about Nico, and I was soo mad because I'm supposed to marry him. :( grr. Anyways, from what I've read, great review, and now I'm even more excited to start this.

    ReplyDelete